Sunday, July 05, 2009

Timber Frame Hand Rails (Part II)

Here are pictures of the finished 3rd floor timber frame hand rail. This first picture was taken from the stairwell, and the eyebrow dormer can be seen to the right.

My wife applied three or four coats of oil based polyurethane before I installed the black iron balusters. I discovered this style of baluster at Lowes several months ago and bought enough of them to do the 2nd floor hand rail. Because we needed several of these balusters throughout the house (we plan to use them in the stairwell), we searched on line and found them cheaper. We gave the local Lowes a chance to price match, but the manager on duty declined. So we ordered them online, and to our great surprise, the online balusters were solid iron, whereas the ones from Lowes had been hollow. I'm glad they didn't price match after all! (Too bad both brands are made in China - I would have spent more for some made in the USA if we could have found them.)

This second picture was taken from the 3rd floor tower. The arched braces in the foreground are curly maple, and the floor in the background is hickory. In the far background is our stucco chimney and a hammer beam truss.

I took this third picture to show off the 3/4" pegs in the post. I made the pegs by whittling down some leftover 1" pegs. I thought the 1" pegs were too big in proportion to this 6x6 post.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Gilbert said...

Wow, it all looks great. Poor Rhonda, I put one coat of that stuff on the trim at the other place and it was enough for me. You guys should be ready to move in soon shouldn't you? When we finish, then what will you do with your spare time??? ha.

July 9, 2009 at 1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see evidence that your kids already view the house as their playground in the third picture. (Nerf dart) haha

July 11, 2009 at 12:41 AM  
Blogger brad_bb said...

How are the iron balusters attached to the rail and floor?

July 14, 2009 at 9:35 AM  
Blogger Thomas Massie said...

Gilbert, we're thinking about getting TV when the house is done. :)

Anon, I noticed that in the picture too when I posted it. Wondered if I should mention it or just let someone find it. You win the prize! Still don't have a good idea of how to retrieve it, now that the rolling scaffold is down.

Brad, I'm going to do one more handrail post - if I have space I will show it then. Basically, the balusters are inserted 2" into over-deep holes in the floor, then you pull the baluster up 3/4" into a hole in the railing. A set screw in the collar (foot) keeps the baluster from sliding back down into the overdeep hole in the floor.

July 15, 2009 at 5:44 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

T - I stopped by this afternoon. You must have been away. I walked around the house. The view is incredible. Maybe I'll catch you next time.

July 19, 2009 at 6:38 PM  
Blogger Thomas Massie said...

Bummer, I missed you Jeff. We scooted over to Lori's (dad's house) for a while.

July 23, 2009 at 12:35 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

No problem. Beautiful place. I am not sure you could have picked a better spot. First time I've been up there in 20 years....

July 25, 2009 at 2:27 PM  
Anonymous eOs from Ron Paul Forums said...

Dude, this is probably the coolest project I've seen. Awesome work man.

October 24, 2009 at 4:22 PM  
Blogger Thomas Massie said...

Thanks eOs!

October 24, 2009 at 9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home