Sunday, September 04, 2011

Quick update

This is my first house update in a while, and my first blog entry from the iPad... Since I have a day job now, there's very little time for working on the house. The stone mason has been laying up the stone on the retaining wall for the past few days. The family and I have been collecting the stones for him from the creek, woods, and the little quarry that I abandoned a couple of years ago.  Between yesterday and today, I estimate we collected about 5 tons of squarish stones so the mason can get started on the east retaining wall.  In the very middle of the stone pile below you can see the stones have more of an orange cast...  these are from my old quarry.  The stones with the greenish cast are from the creek. I started out as a purist, so every stone on the house itself is laid just as it came out of the ground (sedimentary stones have grain like wood).  On the retaining wall, I told the mason he could lay the stones sideways.  This makes life easier on him and me.  I have fewer stones to collect, and he can lay up a wall faster.  He is using corrugated wall ties to hold the 4" stone veneer to the 8" concrete block.  He is careful to include enough orange stones so the retaining wall will match the house wall. The block wall is full of rebar and concrete, and is anchored to a "deadman" in the ground just beneath where my son is standing.  This and the curve in the wall should keep the wall from ever leaning or falling over. (and FYI, the iPad stinks for creating formatted blogger content!)

7 Comments:

Anonymous plumbing said...

One of the most important thing to consider in building houses is the safety.

October 5, 2011 at 12:02 AM  
Anonymous Charlotte Drake said...

Very informative blog, thanks for sharing. Glad to see how Timber workshops and outhouses offer a sustainable, eco-friendly method of construction.

October 26, 2011 at 9:20 AM  
Blogger John Davies said...

The stone veneer looks great!
Also...thanks for the editorial on the I-pad. I was wondering how it worked for editing and posting to blogger on the fly. Now I know. lolz :)
-J

November 5, 2011 at 11:11 AM  
Anonymous Building Contractors in London said...

I love the Stone veneer.. u should post about your creations more often

January 10, 2012 at 4:38 AM  
Anonymous Megan Payne said...

It's good that you built a wall made from squared stone for your home because that's very tough material. In fact, it won't even budge when it hit with a sledgehammer. It also provides a natural aesthetic feel to that house with its classical yet modern appeal.

February 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM  
Blogger Matt Noe said...

Thomas,
I've been following your post religously. I'm certain you have your hands full this month. We just purchased a farm just off of the Mountain Parkway, about 10 North of Campton. We're considering a timber frame, or log. The more we look at timber frames, the more we like them and I must say your's is an inspiration. We're currently living in Hopkinsville KY. I had a job that took me by The Grand Oaks Timber Framing School everyday. Yepp, I'm procrastinating. Anyways', we would love to hear of any updates if you have any to add.

Matt and Claudia

February 26, 2012 at 8:53 PM  
Anonymous timber decking said...

The load-bearing inner skin walls and any load-bearing internal partition walls are constructed in concrete blockwork.

March 24, 2012 at 3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home