Monday, July 03, 2006

The slate is here!

Our slate arrived from Camara Slate in Vermont and it looked awesome right off of the truck. (Thank Shawn Camara!) We ordered a 50/50 mix of Unfading Green and Unfading Gray slate, as well as a 50/50 mix of 18" and 20" slates... all in random widths. I was anxious to get going on the slate, so I figured out how many of each type slate they had sent us, and I came up with a ratio of different slates to use for each course. (to keep things looking random, without running out of any particular size or color of slate before the roof was done.) My wife and my daughter helped by handing the slates out on the roof to me, and this is what we accomplished this weekend! All of the 1x4" oak battens were cut on my sawmill and edger, and we ran them through a Dewalt planer to get the thicknesses consistent. Although the slates are 18 and 20" long, each one only covers 7.5" of roof, so the oak battens are on 7.5" centers. We used stainless steel nails because I was doubtful that copper nails would go into the semi-dried oak. The ridges are capped with copper. More on this later....

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thomas,

I did not want to write to you on jenkins but another must have book is the slate book from vermont slate and copper it covers alot more detail and info on installing slate roofs. You can get it at theslatebook.com. also I own a slate roofing company in vermont if you have any questions feel free to call 802 265 4506/802 342 0309 Steve T

July 5, 2006 at 10:26 AM  
Blogger Thomas Massie said...

Thanks Steve, I will check it out. I thought about buying this book a while back, but was turned off by the reviews on Amazon and the text samples on the book's own web site. But now you are the second person to recommend this book, so I'll buy it. Even if I learn one thing about slate roofs (that wasn't in The Slate Roof Bible by Joe Jenkins, which I have read front to back about half a dozen times), then the book will have been worth the $19.95.

July 5, 2006 at 5:28 PM  
Blogger thin dime said...

Not to be too revealing, identity-wise, but I love the blog. Still not sure what a purlin is, but you've made it so compelling, I intend to find out.Please, continue! I'm hooked, I can't wait to see how it ends! I regret fully missing the family reunion.

My log goes to my own long abandoned blog for which I gained some little bit of notoriety, in the centre circle, at least, as the JOBTROT scandal hit Frankfort.

July 6, 2006 at 10:14 PM  
Blogger Thomas Massie said...

I think you're looking at the feel-good hybrids. If you get a luxury/performance hybrid, the greenies will still thumb their noses at you. Get you a Toyota Prius. :)

July 20, 2006 at 3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,
I posted you a question on slateroofcentral. Can you please answer it??

Thank you
Anne B. Horton

August 31, 2006 at 4:21 AM  
Blogger Thomas Massie said...

Anne,

I posted a reply for you on jenkinsslate. Hope this helps.

http://jenkinsslate.com/messages/messages/3/877.html?1157028436

Gotta git back to the house now.... :)

-Thomas

August 31, 2006 at 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home