Thursday, June 14, 2007

The stone on the little tower is finished

That's my family locked in the tower. :)

Seriously, some specs...

*every stone is from our farm.
95% were found within 200 yards of the house.
each one is pitch-faced by hand with a chisel.
they are laid flat w.r.t. their geological bedding.
I cut the three window sills from the same slab.

*the stone walls are about 8" thick to the corbels
above the corbels, the walls are 16" thick
the crenelation stones are roughly 14"x10"x6"

The "father-and-son" masons that laid these rocks are doing a great job. (just seeing if they are checking the blog). I worked (helping to cut and face the stones) with them every day on this part of the house. I felt obligated, since I asked them to do this in "pitch-faced style, no control joints, with an 8" overhang," and they didn't flinch. We used generous wall ties, but now I'm convinced that the stone is holding the wall more than the wall is holding the stone. (this small tower is the only part of the house that has no internal timber frame -- it is framed solely with SIPs.) Really the picture doesn't do this stonework justice. It is "other-world-ish"... maybe even "disney-worldish"... but we like it just fine.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No scuppers to get any water off the top of this little tower?

July 4, 2009 at 11:02 PM  
Blogger Thomas Massie said...

I have two small drains, that were defeated last winter by freezing water (which plugged them).

http://massiehouse.blogspot.com/2008/09/epdm-flat-roofing.html

When I get gutters on the main roof, I think the drains will be sufficient.

Big scuppers would have been a good idea.

July 5, 2009 at 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home