Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Tyvek, from a house to a billboard in 2 days...

Just a quick photo update on the house. We've started wrapping the house with Tyvek. Yes, it looks garish, and I resent the free advertising that I'm giving the makers of this stuff, but maybe it will help keep moisture off of the house until we get siding on. (You might notice a hint of orange in the trees in the background... winter and wetter weather is coming.)

The blog updates have been sparse recently, as we have been really busy trying to sheet the roof of the tower. We're just about done sheeting the tower top with southern yellow pine (sorry, store-bought). We've also nearly got it all covered in sticky tar paper - just in case we don't get around to roofing it before the weather turns bad. The swoop in the roof looks really neat, although this picture doesn't do it any justice. I promise a better picture of the tower top when we get ready to start slating it... But before we can start on the slate, I've got to figure out how to flash the complicated valleys formed by the intersection of the house roof with the tower roof. I'm really convinced that the hardest part of slating is the flashing. More on that in the next entry... Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do not take my word for it, but I seem to remember that
you should not leave Tyvek exposed for a long time
since UV sunrays tend to destroy it.

Congrats for your achievements, that is a work of art
what you have there.

October 14, 2006 at 3:11 AM  
Blogger Thomas Massie said...

Thanks! I looked on the Tyvek wrapper and it says "no longer than 120 days", so I'm sure it starts degrading as soon as the first sun hits it, and who knows how much life is left in it at 120 days?! I'll try to get it covered up soon... but that could be difficult. :( Looking for someone who can do Dryvit or traditional stucco, but not having much luck in this area.

October 14, 2006 at 6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home